school picture day. the dreaded and the beloved. this is what i will say today. if you can get your boys to wear a collar shirt then congratulations you are a lucky one. I am a lucky one. Myes is on a major collar shirt kick right now and i am sopping up every moment. Our favorite picks for boys this year are henleys and baseball tees in California because they have an interesting texture and frame the face without layers. layers always look good in photos (see how layer crazy i went here, getting ready for family photos? check out my 9 tips for avoiding the family picture meltdown here). layers do not look good in photos IF you live in Southern California and it is still 95 degrees outside. if i sent my boys to school with any type of layer one of two things would happen.
1. they would take the layer off and when i received the school pictures they would be in a sleazy white undershirt that is supposed to be white but is some 50 shades of gray… (gross on both levels, i know, but i had to).
2. they would be red and sweaty from keeping the layers on, per my threatening, and that is not a good look.
Now you know from this post that i am not all about classics for pictures. we take so many pics of our kids nowadays that the one classic/timeless photo no longer exsists. think about it like you are documenting an era and a moment in time, not trying to make this picture last for 20 years. let them wear the latest trend. you will laugh yourself to tears in years to come. its amazing.
so here are my 6 tips for improving the school picture.
1. layer lightly if weather permits (cardigans, vests for short hair note how ruby’s long hair kind of blends with the fur? get a contrasting color fur, flannels etc.)
2. wear texture (think knits, heathered gray, fur, denim)
3. embellishments around the neck for girls frame the face and keep it fun.
4. send them with chapstick to put on right before the picture.
5. flannels, collar shirts, henleys and baseball tees add just enough interest for boys
6. play with hairstyles in the weeks leading up to school pictures. do clips or headbands look good? braids? side part or middle? do they need a little trim? this photo shoot showed us that the boys need a little cleaning up.
click on item description to purchase:
** please note, i may receive a small fee if you purchase items through my site. that is how we keep this blog a rollin:) you get that right? thanks for supporting the blue closet. **