if your boys are like my boys they will pick playing outside over anything, including reading. although he is a good reader we have struggled to find books that will keep his attention.
last year i started getting him Sports Illustrated for Kids as a way to get him reading. he devours the magazines. he loves seeing who is on the cover and tearing the trading cards out. okay, okay we are getting somewhere. then we noticed one day that sports illustrated had a series of books for kids all about different sports. we even found books on wakeboarding, bike riding tricks and skateboarding. myes was ecstatic and read through all four books last summer. finally! something he enjoyed.
so i asked myes go grab me your very most favorite books. here is what he came up with:
1. Dirty Bertie: funniest, although has potty humor…so your call
2. Stink the Incredible Shrinking Kid: funny
3. The Lucky Baseball Bat: good story about believing in yourself and has the sports component
4. Magic Tree House Series: Polar Bears Past Time: lots of kids love this series but this is the only one myes really liked
5. Harry Potter: duh. so good. we read this as a family at night.
6. Hardy Boys Extreme Danger: it involves dirt bikes, so although it is a harder read for him he still likes the adventure.
7. Sports Illustrated Kids Series: includes stories on all sorts of sports you won’t find elsewhere; wakeboarding, snowboarding, gymnastics, wrestling, bmx bikes, skateboarding. They even have a great set for GIRLS that would rather be outside:)
have i told you lately how much i love this kid? he is so intensely loyal to me and his thoughtfulness exceeds all my wildest dreams. he probably tells me once a week how pretty he thinks i am and how special our relationship is and a how he loves my photography. did you just see my heart melt right onto the floor? in. a. puddle.